Monday, November 13, 2006

NaBloPoMoFo

Oh well. So much for blogging every day this month. I have never been very good at plodding (some would say I have a hard time with routine, consistency, whatever). In fact, I was just away from a computer. I went up to meet the landlords this weekend, and the Motel 6 didn't have a laptop handy. Anyway, it was a good trip. The house is really perfect for what I need. It's tucked away in Mt. Tam, has a fabulous wood burning fireplace, a lovely wrap around deck, and glass across the entire back of the house. Plus, it's about a 10-minute drive across the Golden Gate to San Francisco.

I can already see that there will be some difficulties to overcome in this endeavor. Namely, finding the perfect mix of timing, entertainment, and Benadryl (I keed) to keep Iain occupied on our twice weekly airplane adventures. At the same time, I am more excited than ever to do this. In less than 24 hours, I met four people with whom I could easily become friends. And, it just so happens that my landlord is a flight instructor, so I will probably be exploring flight lessons sometime in the next few months.

Back to my issues with not finishing what I start, I have decided to drop my Anatomy class. To all of you who thought I was completely insane for starting back to school when i did, I issue a hearty, "You were right!" Too much, too soon. But I said that I woud offer myself a lot of grace in these months, so that is what I am doing. That panic attack test that I took a couple of weeks ago resulted in a 33%, and although I could probably work really, really hard and maybe still pass the class with a C, I spoke with the professor this morning and decided that it just doesn't matter that much at this point. There is a two year wait list for most nursing schools in California, so I'm going to have to embark on a different career in the meantime. Plus, I am beginning to wonder if the nursing thing is really as much of a calling as it was a knee jerk reaction to my all-consuming hobby of the previous two years. I know I want to help people who are facing similar circumstances, but maybe not full time. Besides, for those of you who know me, I am much more of a suit, stockings, and high heels kind of gal than I am a scrubs and clogs kind of girl.

Dalton would have really appreciated my saying that.

So, for now, I am free from school and focused on getting things in order for the next phase of my life. Tomorrow, my friend, Millie. is coming to help me start on the task of going through Dalton's stuff. Last week was rescheduled because of her work schedule. Fine by me. I'm not exactly an eager beaver about this one. In my "prep work" today to ensure that none of our more personal items were included in the pile, I came across a stack of cards that Dalton had given to me over the years. He was really an amazing writer and hopeless romantic. I wish I'd only kept more of them, but then you never know. You just never know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Corte Madera a look see; Tiffany and I used to meet there in the old days when we were a
700 mile commute(*!$@&) apart.
We called it half-way!
Oh, wow, and Sausalito...high
heeled gal's delight:
http://www.sausalito.org/
Glad to hear you are not superwoman, my gutt wrenched at the cat clean-up episode in your ananamony class.
Love your humor, child!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you researched perhaps going into non-profit administration? There are so many out there that work in conjunction w/ hospitals and patients...I could totally see you doing that!

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home