Sunday, November 05, 2006

You've heard it a million times before

Again, there really is nothing new under the sun.

Don't ever get too attached to your stuff, because when you die, the people you love the most will eventually pack up 95% of it and give it to Goodwill.

I think I will be able to get through most of the clothes. Some things will be especially difficult though; the Hugo Boss sport jacket that we bought when Dalton returned to Marsh, the black J Crew Coat that I bought for him because he refused to spend the money on himself, certain pairs of shoes. It's funny how many memories you can associate with clothing.

The things that will be toughest though are those things that are uniquely personal but not necessarily sentimental. For example, the classical guitar that he always intended but never got around to learning how to play. Or, the briefcase that he carried to work every day for the past
six years. Or, his everyday fountain pens (not the really special ones, I'll keep those for Iain), but the everyday ones that he used in lieu of "inferior writing instruments. Or, his sunglasses, the same style and brand that he wore since college. Or, his cologne (which I may not get rid of because on bad nights I still sometimes spray in on the pillow next to me). Or his IPOD.

For all of you who gasped, I have my own IPOD.

It all just seems like such a waste. I want someone else to appreciate these things, to get some use out of them, to play the guitar, carry the briefcase, write with the pens.

So, if you are a friend and would use any of these, please let me know before Friday. Otherwise, I will be packing up 95% of it and giving it to Goodwill.

1 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

We still haven't gotten rid of Eric's things...we boxed them up and they sit in his parents' basement. I kept only a few things, a lot less than I initially thought I would...his hiking boots, a few hoodies of his that I loved, his journal, and several pieces of his artwork.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home