Sunday, November 20, 2005

Getting used to the sound

of wretching that is.

I'm not sure why I haven't posted in over a week. Perhaps my own fatigue is setting in, or maybe I'm trying to fill my time will all things not cancer. Nevertheless, I have much to report and many stories to tell. If you want the full scoop, from beginning to end, wait until this afternoon and start with Saturday, November 12th. Otherwise, you can get the scoop on what's happening now by reading this post.

Something in this cancer cocktail is causing serious nausea and vomiting. Despite a regimen of Zofran, Compazine, Reglan, and Ativan, Dalton spent all of his time yesterday focusing on how NOT to throw up. It worked only some of the time. Other than the obvious discomfort, this is especially concerning because Dalton refuses to eat through his tube. He's not beligerent or nasty, but then again, I am not nagging. I learned a long time ago that nagging is not only ineffective but brings the kind of hostility that no one wants - especially now. So, I offer to hook up the feedings, he says "Not now", and I say "OK". For the past few days, every time he has tried to eat through the tube, he has gotten so sick that now just the thought of it makes him wretch. Yesterday, he was able to "eat" just one can out of the seven and threw up all of the water and gatorade that he'd been able to swallow. The day before that, he'd managed two cans, but his overnight feeding caused such an attack that some of the brown goo actually made its way out of the small intestine (where it enters) and came back into the stomach in preparation for a dramatic exit.

If this continues, we will end up back in the hospital. Dalton is beginning to sport his dehydrated look again and will lose weight quickly if they can't find a way to get him nourishment.

On a side note, Iain got his first tooth on Friday, sort of explaining why his sleep schedule is so sporadic. After last night, when he woke up at 12:15 and 4:15, I am considering asking my mother-in-law to keep him on Tuesday so I can get a full night's sleep. Oh, and theoretically, the kitchen countertops are scheduled to be installed on Tuesday, the appliances and plumbing on Wednesday. I guess that means if I am feeling up to it, I can prepare a lovely Thanksgiving meal for one and puree up some turkey for the other two. I'm still thinking that one over.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Clardys and the Manocks and a variety of other people are coming over to my house on Thursday. Football game at 1;00pm and Turkey at about 4:00ish. We all would love to have you come and join us. There would be my daughters to fight over Iain. I know you have lots of offers but we would love to have you join us any time. We could lay hands on Dalton.
1721 So. 3rd St. Alhambra, 91803
626-281-9406
Praying for you,
Simone

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dalton and Tricia: Know that you are both in our thoughts and prayers. Hope that you are progressing, Dalton, and that you are feeling better. Let us know when you are ready for visitors.

DRH

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home